We are a group of women who care deeply for the Scottish Labour Party and want to ensure that gains made on gender equality over the years are built upon to continue on our legacy of being the party fighting for women.
We are women from different wings of the party, we are different ages and live across Scotland but have a shared vision of putting women at the heart of Scottish Labour’s policy making and processes. We firmly believe that gender equality is everyone’s responsibility and must exist in every corner of our party.
In the upcoming leadership election, we will be asking candidates to sign up to the following pledges:
- Commit to at least 50% women candidates in all national and local elections
- Commit to supporting and expanding the use of All Women Shortlists
- Commit to a “women’s representative” on the Scottish Executive Committee
- Commit to and invest in a national Scottish Labour Women’s Conference every year, with policy making power and an elected women’s committee.
- Commit to tackling sexism faced by women within the party and ensure there are real reporting mechanisms in place which take swift action.
After this leadership election, we will continue as the voice of Scottish Labour Women to ensure these asks are delivered, once a women’s committee is elected, this work will be handed over to it.
Going to a hustings event?
If you are going to a hustings event, make sure you ask a question about gender equality. For example:
Have you committed to the Scottish Labour Women’s Voice key asks and if so, how do you intend to deliver them?
What have you previously delivered on gender equality?
If elected, what would you do to overcome the inaccuracy around and unfair reputation of all women shortlists?
What do you think are the most pressing issues for women in Scotland, and what do you plan to do about them?
You can go further and print out the 5 key asks and get a photo with the candidates – make sure you send it to us on the contact page!